Tuesday, April 15, 2014

OULIPOST #15: PRISONER’S CONSTRAINT


The prompt:
Imagine a prisoner whose supply of paper is restricted. To put it to fullest use, he will maximize his space by avoiding any letter extending above or below the line (b, d,f,g,h,j,k,l,p,q,t and y) and use only a,c,e,m,n,o,r,s,u,v,w,x and z. Compose a poem using only words that can be made from these letters AND which you source from your newspaper text.

The process: 
I thought..oh boy this will be tough. I will need the Scrabble Word Finder. I didn't. Today, is the one year anniversary of the Marathon Bombing. They had a special wrap-around cover and on the inside a short article and quotes. I went through the short article and quotes and found short words and pulled something together. It's a bit commemorative. My apologies. I live about a mile away from where "he" was found. I went to the same university he went to and taught there. I was held captive that Friday in April and watched unmarked patrol cars scour my street for hours. 

The result: 


one
we are more aware
we survive
we move
we run
we rise—sun


we see issue
we own

since,
we want same
we mean more
now, even more

runners, survivors,
men, 
women,
move
run
race
rose…

Source:
A special piece: "One year late." The Boston Globe.  15 Apr 2014, V1-V4.
Contributors: Mark Arsenault, Billy Baker, Anica Butler, Maria Cramer, Liz Kowalczyk, Eric Moskowitz, Shelley Murphy, Martine Powers, Dina Rudick, Andrew Ryan, David L. Ryan, and John Tlumacki. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, great use of the text Nicole - kudos!

Nicole said...

Thank you! :)